Interactive Learning Resource Topic: Art Therapy

Identify components of the Interactive Learning Resource that might be missing (e.g., appropriate outcomes, alignment, interactivity, inclusivity, technology use and rationale, presentation, grammar, spelling, citations, etc.).

Hi everyone, I think you guys did a good job structuring the class and I really enjoyed looking over the different lessons that you provided. I think that the overall layout and accessibility of finding everything is quite good and you guys did a solid job proof reading to make sure that there were no small errors such as grammar or spelling. I also really liked how you guys decided to go with a more project based class as that fits really well with the topic that you have chosen.

That being said, the class that you created was built for third grade students and I am not sure if third grade students will be able to handle the online technology by themselves well. Is the class mean’t to have parental guidance or are they expected to be able to upload their work on google classroom. I also think that when students are at such a young age, they benefit a lot from being able to talk to actual people and interact with their peers. They also have a very low attention span and getting them to watch a lot of videos by themselves might not be the most effective approach. Do you think that the class would benefit from a few meetings on zoom where the students can share their work with one another?

Provide a summary of The Interactive Learning Resource’s strengths and weaknesses. Draw out specific examples from your peers’ work to justify your feedback.

I think that your group’s interactive learning resource had a lot of strengths for the topic that you chose. I think that the videos that you chose to show the students were well tailored and age appropriate for the students you were teaching. I also liked how you guys got the students to do hands on work and really show that they understood the lessons. A few weaknesses that I found was simply the difficulty of some of the tasks that were given to the students. I think that as a third grade student it could be overwhelming to complete a task such as the task for Shape and Share. I think that getting the student to share their emotions with the clay is enough and getting them to go through a checklist might be too much. I also think that the assessment for each task and the rubric you have provided is good but maybe make it more participation based because I don’t expect third grade students to review a rubric before doing a simple art assignment.

Provide general, specific, and practical recommendations to your peers on how to improve their Interactive Learning Resource.

Some recommendations that I have for your group is just to be more wary of the audience that you have chosen. Although you chose a lot of great videos, I think that setting up some live interaction is crucial for learning at a young age. This can be done with setting up a zoom link or even involving parents in the learning process. I also think that some of the assignment descriptions can be changed focusing on giving more detailed descriptions and less steps to the assignment. For example the one task that I previously talked about on Shape and Share you guys tell the student to, “Use clay to share an experience you have had.” To me, this is such a broad topic and if the student just came from watching the video resource, kids that are in grade 3 tend to be very forgetful and might be lost on what to do. I think that adding some more description to the task like how they would use the clay to share an experience can help even though the task itself is meant to be very creative.

Overall though I really enjoyed looking at your interactive learning resource and trying the different tasks. One other thing to mention is that if the student doesn’t have clay available like myself, is there another alternative that they can use? If they’re expected to have it at the start of the class then its fine.